Monday, July 16, 2007

Assimilation Nation: Tossing the Americ an Salad - What's In a Mane? Pt. 1

Welcome back to Assimilation Nation: Tossing the American Salad.

Once again, I am your conductor on this train to enlightenment, Bruno Sharpei. Our first experiment involves Shareice Moore. Shareice is a small town girl who, due to being raised in the suburbs I assume, experienced covert racism on an astounding level.



Shareice: No one was really open about it, but they would just say things that wouldn't sit right with me. All of my friends were white, even everyone in my church was white, so when I heard something uncomfortable for me racially I wasn't quite sure where to reach out.



Shareice, please give us some examples to better illustrate your point.




Shareice: Well a large one happened when I went to a Cure Revival concert with my friends. I had a lot of people asking whether or not I was in the right place, since it wasn't a Hip Hop concert, or if I was there to add some r&b flare to the thing. There was also some talk of “filling the quota” that I didn't understand so I didn't respond to. The thing was that many of these people felt themselves to be liberal or open-minded and understanding so it was even harder to voice my discomfort, with thought that I may be too “PC”.



Shareice's experiment will involve certain stereotypes that have been placed on her racial community and how that stereotype effects the reactions of those around her and in turn how they affect her.



The title of this Case Study will be “What's In A Mane?” We will take Shareice and dress her in her normal business attire and insert her into a standard day at the office. The difference will be that instead of a bun or bob, her hair will be braided into identical plaits on either side of her head. To add credence to these plaits they will involved her hair in a natural state. Featuring rough, tight curls that when brushed creates rustic waves leading into more puffed plaits. Each with be banded and rolled over at the end.



Now the differences that we've highlighted may seem minor and nearly inconsequential but as we'll see the effects of racism are inherent and though the original responses may seem slight the resulting outcomes have the ability to grow exponentially thus perhaps creating a debilitating sense of worth in our participant.



We'll follow Shareice throughout the day and record the events of said day on an hourly basis.

Scene: Shareice works at Wentworth Miller & Associates in downtown Sioux Falls, SD. She is an accounts representative and holds frequent meetings with executives in associate offices around the city and state. She earns a very good salary and has positive rapport with her coworkers and clients. She's made sure that she falls into the corporate mold and always adopts a “professional” appearance. She goes the extra mile and makes sure that nothing on her person stands out in a negative way by wearing neutral colors and making sure her hair is tame and the same everyday.

Shareice: It's completely different from the way I was in college, but I found that the way I did my hair seemed to affect the way that some reacted to me, so I stopped being creative and started to assimilate. It's worked for me in the office, but I wonder what would happen if I were to push the envelope in one direction. Despite knowing me for so long would my colleagues treat me any differently if they saw me in a different way?

Let's find out Shareice. We'll begin your day, right now.





8AM: Shareice enters into the building in her usual get up but with her hair in the state described above. Immediately the receptionist, who is also African American takes notice.

Rachelle: Hey Shareice! Umm, what's up with the slave hair?

Shareice: Excuse me?

Rachelle: The Miss Celie braids? What's that all about? You know where we work, right?

Shareice: Rachelle I was just trying something new, I hardly think of them as “slave braids” my goodness.

Rachelle: Whatever, here's your messages.

Shareice feels a bit put off but decides to brush the incident away and makes her way into the company elevator. On her way to the 30th floor they stop to pick up some people on the 15th. Two of her associates, John & Terrence begin to get on but stop upon seeing her.

John: So, they're taking the elevator now?

Shareice: Yes John, I always take the elevator.

John stares at her coldly and Shareice begins to shrink slightly.

John: We'll wait for the next car.

Shareice: What? Joh-

Shareice is cut off when the door suddenly closes. She turns to her Caucasian suite mate Paul beside her,

Shareice: Paul what's going on today?

Paul winks at her and motions his head to the security cameras in the elevator. He puts his back to the camera and has a pad with a message on it pointed towards Shareice.

“If you need a way out, I can help you. The codeword is MOSES.”

Shareice is bewildered and makes her way quickly out of the elevator.

Paul: So I'll look forward to hearing from you about that proposition Shareice. We ALL will!


9AM: Shareice has been in her office returning calls and leaves to make some copies in the floor's mail center. She is collating her documents when Carole from marketing comes in. Carole is Shareice's superior and they have a congenial yet stilted work relationship.

Shareice: Good morning Carole!

Carole: Good morning Shar! Well look at you, your hair is different! I love it!

Shareice: R-really? Wow, that's great. You know I've only been in the office for a little bit today and I've gotten the oddest-

Carole: Yeah, it reminds me of a little sla- umm, French school girl.

Shareice: Really, because it didn't seem like that's what you were going to-

Carole: It's just precious, really it is! Except you look less like a Shareice and more like a... we'll say Stephanie. Yes, Stephanie.

Shareice: Umm, okay Carole, but there's no reason for that, my name is Shareice and I love my-

Carole: I'm going to call you Stephanie! It will be fun!

Shareice: I would rather you not, mostly because that's not my-

Carole: Look Stephanie, I'm trying to be perfectly reasonable with you-

Shareice: Carole please stop interrupting me! I am trying to tell you-

Carole: When did we get so familiar Stephanie? I think you should call me Mrs. Kowalski. And your insubordinate behavior will not be forgotten in your yearly review.

Shareice: What? My review isn't for another six months, and I've always called you Carole.

Carole: Well Stephanie, things are different now. I think there's something in the air, but the times are changing, and I like it. Get me some coffee and have it in my office in 20 minutes.

Shareice: Wait, you have an assistant for that, Car- Mrs. Kowalski! What's going on today!?


10AM: Shareice has a meeting with a prospective client. It's an important account and she has a preliminary meeting with her supervisors to straighten out the details before the clients arrive.

Irv Johnson (Vice CEO, marketing): Good morning Stephanie, good to see you on time.

Shareice: How.. I mean, sir, you know my name is-

Irv: That's hardly consequential right now Stephanie, I'd like to read over your presentation did you bring it with you?

Shareice: Well of course I did, but you've never proofed any of my documents in the past, why-

Irv: There's always room for change Stephanie, gotta keep your kind on your p's and q's.

Shareice: Why is everyone interrupting me to- wait, “my kind”? What exactly is my kind, sir?

Irv: I'd appreciate it if you not look me in the eye Stephanie, especially not in front of the client. Now normally we would let one of our more acceptable representatives do the presentation, but this firm takes kindly to those of your influence. As long as you're willing to participate we should be able to close the deal with little to no issue.

Shareice: Participate how, sir?

Irv: Oh you know Stephanie, just be pleasing, give them what they want.

Shareice: ...Superior service?

Irv: Whatever you want to call it, Stephanie. I'll let you change into something a little more appropriate. Perhaps something with an apron...

Shareice: Sir! I am NOT changing into-

Irv: I guess it's not necessary, you won't have it on tha-

Joe: Irv the clients are here.

Shareice: WAIT! I won't have what on? What are you talking about Irv?

Irv: The name is Master Johnson Stephanie, and the only reason I'm letting you get away with this lip is because you've been under my service for a while and we've become familiar. You will not pull this sassy crap in front of the client, is that clear? I swear, your kind has pulled some sort of revolution around here, it's time to get you back in line.

Shareice is shocked into silence and unable to respond due to the incoming clients. She carries the presentation off with little to no effect and thinks everything may have settled or been in her head. She begins to carry her head high after the successful meeting and goes to see the lawyers to process the newly signed contracts. She walks to the office of Melvin Brown, an African American colleague that originally suggested the firm to her over seven years ago.


12PM: Shareice walks into Melvin's office and stops dead in her tracks at the site before her. Instead of office furniture there is a lone grinding stone in the middle of the office. There are sickles, hoes, and rakes littered around the room and Melvin is sharpening a blade on the grinding stone when Shareice enters. Over his expensive Armani career wear he is wearing faded torn overalls and a straw hat on his head. Behind him there is a white man previously unknown to Shareice who is chewing a piece of straw and... whistling Dixie.


Shareice: M- Melvin, I was... umm, on my way to lunch, but I wanted to talk to you about-

Melvin: You see I'm busy Steffie, can't talk right now.

Shareice: Melvin what's going on? Who is this man?

Man: Don't matter who I am, what matters is why you ain't brought my beans and rice.

Melvin: What you done Steffie? What you done?

Man: Where're my beans girl?!

Melvin: Run Steffie, run like the wind!

Shareice turns and begins to walk briskly towards the elevator. She passes Carole who is on the phone.

Carole: One is getting away, alert security!

Shareice panics and breaks into a brisk run towards the elevator. As it open she sees John with a potato sack and a devilish grin. She runs away from the elevator.

John: Stephanie wait, come back, I have something I need to- Damnit! Close off the perimeter!

Shareice runs into the supply closet where she sees Paul. She runs to Paul with a pleading in her eyes and he nods.

Paul: What's the password, Shareice?

Shareice: You called me Shareice!

Paul: There's no time, what's the password?!

Shareice: MOSES!

Paul: Let's go.

Shareice was unable to give us the details of her exit because to do so would compromise the integrity of their exit strategy, but we're glad to report she made it out safely though slightly worse for wear.

Shareice: That was enough. I took the rest of the day off, I couldn't. I didn't know what to do, i just couldn't take it anymore.

Though the experiment was ended prematurely I believe that we gathered enough data to adequately fuel our results.


Join us next week on Assimilation Nation: Tossing the American Salad we will take Shareice and give her hair in the opposite direction. She will sport a proud indignant Afro and the results of this change and the reactions thereto will be recorded.

0 comments: